When it comes to commercial properties, energy management and optimization are critical, especially today when the popularity of conscious consumption keeps rising increasingly. Energy efficiency brings a whole pack of benefits such as lower heating and cooling bills, better temperature control, and a reduced carbon footprint.
have you ever considered your commercial garage door insulation? In case you haven’t, it’s high time you did it! Be it a large industrial or logistics company, a warehouse, a retail store, or a recreational building, insulated garage doors are a necessity. Here, we’ve got several good reasons to prove the effectiveness of commercial garage door insulation services.
Apart from the benefits mentioned above, you will also see more advantages like
- Noise reduction – insulating materials are a kind of sound absorber. If your business property is located in a noisy environment or you use the garage as a workspace, you must be interested in it.
- Ensured security – Insulated garage doors are often thicker and more robust and therefore highly durable and secure. They can provide an additional layer of protection against break-ins, etc.
- Longevity: Insulated garage doors tend to have longer lifespans because the insulation helps protect the door panels from extreme temperature fluctuations and moisture, reducing the risk of warping and damage.
Garage door insulation types
Before we get down to the most common commercial garage door insulation types, let’s figure out the two important concepts – R-value and U-value. These measures are used in building construction to assess the thermal performance and insulation properties of various materials.
Here’s the ultimate difference explained in simple terms: the R-value measures the rate of heat loss and is used to assess the insulating effectiveness of materials, while the U-value measures the rate of heat transfer and assesses the overall thermal performance of the doors. Both values must be considered when designing energy-efficient buildings and picking up appropriate insulation materials.
According to scientists at the Argonne National Laboratory, the best insulators include fiberglass, air, iron fibers, Polystyrene foam, and thin plastic films. Some insulating items have pockets of air to spread out heat while other insulators reflect light away and thereby insulate against heat.
Now, take a look at 3 commercial door insulation methods:
- Fiberglass batt insulation is the most common and affordable type of insulation. Fiberglass comes in pre-cut batts or portions and can be fitted into the panels of your garage door. It’s relatively easy to install however additional protective covering might be required. Insulating R-values are from 3 to 4 per inch of thickness.
- Foam board insulation is done with large and rigid panels that have very high insulation properties. The panels are often covered with a reflective foil for extra insulation. Polystyrene panels are light and therefore easy to cut and install. R-values depend on the thickness and vary from 3.3 and 6.5.
- Reflective aluminum foil insulation works in the following way – it reflects radiant heat and light and this is what makes this insulation type a great solution for garage doors with limited space for thicker insulation materials as well as for garages located in hot or tropical locations. Reflective insulation shows the best results when there’s a still air layer of at least 25mm/1 inch that itself gives it a degree of extra insulation. Keep it clean and dust-free for maximum effectiveness. Reflective insulation is thin, quite lightweight, and much less bulky as compared to other forms, making it easy to work with. Furthermore, it is non-toxic and non-carcinogenic – that means ensured safety. The R-value ranges from 3.5 to 6, depending on how the insulation is applied.
What you should understand is there’s no one-size-fits-all solution – every insulation type comes with its specifications, limitations, advantages, and pitfalls. You have to take into account your commercial garage door type and a number of other crucial factors that might impact the choice. If you are at a loss, contact an experienced commercial garage door insulation services provider and ask for assistance. You will enjoy considerable gains provided you select the right insulation method.
How much it costs to insulate commercial garage doors
The commercial garage door insulation price can vary depending on several important factors. These include insulating material, specifically the delivery, installation, and mobilization services, and so on. Check out several critical factors that impact the insulation services cost:
- The price of the material is determined by its physical characteristics, insulating properties, durability, and longevity. High-quality insulating material comes at a reasonable price but the investments will pay off in the long run – it will serve for years.
- Needless to mention the material thermal efficiency that was mentioned above as the R-value – it is another factor to consider when calculating the overall price.
- Insulation thickness can add up to the price significantly. The thicker the insulation layer, the more insulating material is required.
- The door material is to be considered as well as the area to be insulated. Obviously – the larger the surface, the higher the price.
- Hiring experts to deliver and install the insulation system also costs money. The labor cost ranges from $200 to $500, or $65 to $85 per hour. However, it may vary considerably from contractor to contractor.
Where to start
First of all, decide whether you are able to insulate your commercial garage doors on your own or you want to have it insulated by specialists.
As already said, the best thing about hiring a professional is that they cover the entire process for you, from measuring the area to installing the insulation. By the way, most service providers discuss your budget in order to fit it perfectly by selecting a material that works for your situation.
In case you’re not a passionate DIYer, you better not put yourself and your garage door at risk – look for professional enhancement. Find specialists in your area with relevant experience and fair prices.
STI Garage Door is a premier commercial garage door insulation service provider. We have long-term experience in installing, repairing, and replacing industrial garage door insulation and the best modern tools at our disposal.
Leave the insulation process to us and let everyone do what they are best at.