Listening to different types of songs depends on the personal mood. Sometimes the person may like listening to happy songs and other times he likes to listen to sad songs, relaxing tunes, disco songs and many more. So, every melody left an effect on the lives of people. But some songs made history with their magic We are the world singers. Also, the singers behind these songs became legends.
One such song is We Are the World, which has a purpose. And the whole worldlistened to its goal. The reason behind writing the track was noble. Aren’t you eager to know the story of the We are the world singers? I am sure you do. The article will give a brief about the great music and how it made history.
What is the ‘We Are the World’ song?
“We Are the World” is a song written and composed with a unique purpose. It is originally a charity single. And unbelievably melody was recorded by the supergroup USA in 1985. The purpose of this song was to raise funds for the hunger problem in Africa and the US. The song came in public on March 7, 1985.
It was also the first single song from the album by Columbia Records. From this, Columbia Records started the music journey. The song became the country’s fastest single selling pop single in music history. It gained commercial success and was in trending in the world’s top music charts.
Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie wrote the ‘We are the World’ song. Quincy Jones and Michael Omartian were in production for the album, “We Are the World. The album passed sales of 20 million copies, and that made the album is the eighth best-selling albums of all time.
‘We are the world’ got the first certified multi-platinum. So, you can imagine how this song left an impact on the entire world. The Recording Industry Association of America gave a Quadruple Platinum certification to the historic song too. The song achieved so many awards that show how this managed to attract the world people. Some of the awards are-
- one American Music Award,
- three Grammy Awards,
- a People’s Choice Award,
- a special edition magazine,
- a VHS,
- a simulcast, and
- several books, posters, and shirts.
The ‘We Are the World’ team earned $63 million money in Africa and the U.S.
The problems in Africa gained aid by releasing this historic song. So, in case of gathering donations, “We are the World” again helped to do so. On January 12, 2010, Haiti faced a 7.0 M earthquake and devastation situation. They need help from wealthy countries. So, the legendary song again did its magic and started gaining aids from everywhere. This time there was a little name change, as in We are the world 25 for Haiti.
The song had the possibility of being used in another fund-raising programin March 2020 for the COVID-19 pandemic. Lionel Richie suggested making the third remake of We Are the World for this uncontrollable pandemic on the whole world. To showcase global solidarity and raise funds will be the prime focuses.
Singers of the ‘We Are the World’-
- Michael Jackson:
Michael Jackson, one of the greatest singers of all time songcomposed “We Are The World” with Lionel Richie. He is one of the soloists on this song. The duo won a Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1985. You can imagine when Michael Jackson is here, how wonderful the music would be! Though we know his achievements more or less, let’s see them-
- He received the American Music Awards “Artist of the Century” and “Artist of the 1980”
- 13 Grammy Awards along winning a Grammy Living Legend Award and Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award,
- 8 World Music Awards
- 13 number-one singles on the Billboard 100,
- 26 American Music Awards,
- 86 Billboard Awards,
- 31 Guinness World Records, also includes Best Selling Album in Historyfor Thriller,
- 85 MTV Awards,
So, you can call him the most awarded artist in the history of music.
The person who composed “We Are The World” with Michael Jackson is Lionel Richie. He began his career as the lead singer of The “Commodores” in 1982. His achievements are-
- One of the most successful male singers of all-time in the music industry,
- Sold over 100 million records worldwide,
- Won a Grammy Award for his album ‘Can’t Slow Down’ in 1894,
- Also, won the award for ‘Producer of the Year’ same year,
- Won Academy award for ‘Say You, Say Me’ in 1986,
- nominated for an Oscar for the title tune of “Endless Love”
- Stevie Wonder:
He is one of the great soloists on “We Are The World.” His achievements are-
- At the age of 13, his single song ‘Fingertips’ hit position in the Billboard 100 as the youngest artist,
- Won 22 Grammy award more than any other male singers in the world,
- Sold over 100 million singles and albums.
- Many honoring awards include an Oscar, the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, Kennedy Center Honors, the Billboard Century Award, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award,
- He received the name a Messenger of Peace by the United Nations
She is one of the singers on “We Are the World.”
- Was the former lead singer of the greatest female ‘The Supremes’
- one of the most high ranking and influential solo artists in history, Diana Ross was named “The Boss” because she was the most successful and influential female singers around the world,
- She also hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for twelve times with her band,
- was an actress too and won a Golden Globe Award,
- also earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for her debut role in Lady Sings the Blues.
- Achieved Billboard’s “Female Entertainer of the Century” title,
- the most successful female music artist declared by the Guinness Book of World Records,
- In 2007, received the Kennedy Center Honors,
- Also received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.
- Tina Turner:
One of the female soloists on “We Are the World.”
- Tina Turner has been listed as one of the most inspiring singers for over 50 years in history. She started her career singing with Ike Turner’s ‘Kings of Rhythm’
- Also, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,
- In 1985, she won the Record of the Year Award for “What’s Love Got to Do with It.” Since then, she was known as “The Queen of Rock and Roll,”
- Moreover, received eight Grammy Awards,
- sold above 200 million albums and singles worldwide.
- In 1981 and 1986, he honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame,
- Numerous awards also include the Kennedy Center Honors, the National Medal of Arts, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, Dionne Warwick
- Singing career is over at least 50 years,
- Moreover, has released a bundle of classics, including “I Say a Little Prayer,” “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again,” and “Walk On By,”
- In 1987, she also recorded the anthem for AIDS benefits. With Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, and Elton John, she launched the “That’s What Friends Are for” song.
- The song also happen to receive a Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance,
- It was also the first Grammy Award in her singing career,
- Moreover, between 1962 and 1998, her 69 singles hit the Billboard Hot 100.
- Al Jarreau:
One of the most versatile male vocalists in the history
- has been singing for at least 40 years.
- Moreover, seven-time Grammy Award winner, including categories -pop, jazz, and R&B,
- In 2001, he was also honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk.
- Achieved two-time Grammy Award,
- was also nominated twice in the Best Original Song category for An Academy Award, has been on number two in The Billboard Hot 100 singles for “Baby, Come to Me” and “I don’t have A Heart”
Other solo singers are-
- Paul Simon
- Kenny Rogers
- Tina Turner
- Billy Joel
- Willie Nelson
- Bruce Springsteen
- Kenny Loggins
- Steve Perry
- Daryl Hall
- Huey Lewis
- Cyndi Lauper
- Kim Carnes
- Bob Dylan
- He has also gotten numerous awards such as two Grammys NARAS Lifetime Achievement Award, Kennedy Center Honors, the National Medal of Arts Award, the Grammy Living Legend Award,
- Also, composed many songs for Smokey Robinson and The Miracles,
- wrote and also produced hits for The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells, and The Marvelettes.
- Moreover, he was the Motown Vice President.
- Harry Belafonte:
- He created the USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa),
- Also, he is the Vice President of the non-profit foundation,
- A social activist also as well.
- Moreover, three Grammy Awards, an Emmy Award, a Tony Award, The National Medal of Arts, The Kennedy Center Honors, The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, and a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Marlon Jackson:
- made history as a member of The Jackson 5 (Martin, Michael, Tito, Jackie, and Randy Jackson) in 1970, as the group became hit the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100,
- In Hall of Fame, 1997, the group was inducted into,
- Moreover, released one solo album named Baby Tonight in 1987.
The Pointer Sisters:
So, they came from Oakland, California.
- won three Grammys and also three American Music Awards,
- Also got “the Hollywood Walk of Fame” star award.
- The family group was also in thirteen positions in the top 20 Billboard hits between 1973 and 1985,
Their popular songs were-
- “I’m So Excited”
- “Jump (For My Love).
Sheila E. (Sheila Escovedo)
- is a great female drummer or percussionist,
- working over at least four decades
- she also worked with stars including Prince, Lionel Richie, Santana, Diana Ross, Ringo Starr, Kanye West, Jennifer Lopez, George Duke, and many more.
- Also, released seven solo albums
- In 1985, she also hit number two on the Billboard and R&B chart for her song “Love Bizarre.”
- In the same year, she was also nominated for a Grammy Award.
- Jeffrey Osborne
Singing for more than 40 years,
- hit number one with three singles on the Billboard R&B such as “Love Ballad” in 1976,
- But in 1982, he began his career,
- Also, in 1983, Her platinum album Stay with Me was released.
Other chorus We are the world singers are-
- Dan Aykroyd
- Lindsey Buckingham
- Mario Cipollina
- Johnny Colla
- Bob Geldof
- Bill Gibson
- Chris Hayes
- Sean Hopper
- Jackie Jackson
- La Toya Jackson
- Randy Jackson
- Tito Jackson
- Waylon Jennings
- Bette Midler
- John Oates
Producer of We are the world singers:
Quincy Jones is the producer of the “We Are the World” song. Also, the song won a Grammy for this song for Record of the Year in 1985. Quincy Jones is also a very talented and successful artist in the music history of Hollywood. His achievements are-
- Received 27 Grammys in his phenomenal career,
- In his numerous awards such as an Emmy, the National Medal of Arts Kennedy Center Honors, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award
- Began his career playing trumpet with Lionel Hampton when he was just a teenager,
- After that, he worked as an arranger for Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Count Basie, and Ray Charles,
- He also recorded with Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sammy Davis Jr.
- He also launched the acting careers of Oprah Winfrey (The Color Purple), Will Smith.
- Jones has released more than 35 albums as a singer and produced tons of hits for other stars, and Michael Jackson is one of them.
- Ian Underwood – synthesizers, programming
- Michael Boddicker – synthesizers, programming
- David Paich – synthesizers
- Paulinho da Costa – percussion
- John Robinson – drums
- Louis Johnson – synth bass
- John Barnes – keyboards & arrangement
- Michael Omartian – keyboards
- Greg Phillinganes – keyboards
Wrap up Of We are the world singers:
So, ‘We Are the World’ was composed and sang for a noble purpose. Also, the singers, producers, instrument players of the “We are the world” song, all worked hard to achieve the goal of fundraising for America and Africa.